History of the school

At the end of the 17th century, a charitable school was established at Stanton Ford to serve Calver, Curbar, Froggatt and Baslow. Following the Elementary Education Act in 1870, the school was closed and a new school was built by the Duke of Rutland in Baslow Churchyard.

 

In 1876, this was replaced by a new school on School Lane – the site of the current school – which opened on 24 October 1876. The cost of the school and Master’s house – a sizeable sum of £1,534 – was raised by donations from the Duke of Devonshire, the Duke of Rutland and a voluntary rate.

 

In 1950, the school buildings were transferred to the Education Committee and gained the status of a voluntary controlled school, as well as a new name – Baslow St Anne's Church of England Primary School.

 

In 1966, the building was remodelled and extended to accommodate more pupils. 

 

In 2001, the school celebrated its 125th anniversary, with a reunion of staff and pupils, past and present, an exciting programme of events, and a time capsule was buried.

 

In 2002, a purpose-built extension was added to accommodate the youngest pupils. This was made possible through fundraising by the Parent–Teacher Association and funding from the local authority.

 

In 2005, the school garden was completed and officially opened by the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. A new staffroom, headteacher’s office and reception area were also created.

 

In 2007, the children’s toilets were completely refurbished and disabled facilities added.

 

The school now benefits from five attractive classrooms, reception, a large school hall, a staffroom and separate headteacher’s office, and it is lucky to have its own kitchen where the children’s school lunches are prepared. Outside, there are two hard-play areas and a garden for quiet play.

 

We are always looking to improve our school environment, and we are considering new ways to develop the playground and outside learning areas.

Print Print | Sitemap
© Baslow St Anne’s Church of England Primary School